Thursday, August 23, 2007

Anger (Gilgamesh)


Anger


I read pages 37-47. When I read about the decision of the gods’ council, I remembered various events of my own life. There’ve been situations in which I’ve got really mad at my friends. When any one insults my family, I tend to loose control and eventually attack physically. I am an aggressive person and when one of those situations happen, I seek revenge.

People try to calm me down but I block my self from the right thing to do because I want vengeance. Although sometimes I know I overreacted and know I’m wrong, I simply don’t obey to it and proceed with my initial goal. I think this was the case with Anu, Ishtar’s father. He wanted to avenge Gilgamesh’s behavior towards Ishtar so he looked for excuses to convince the other gods to punish them. He tried to stop them with the Bull of Heaven and failed and knew that the gods could make Gilgamesh and by consequence Enkidu, suffer.

I’d say he knew that he was pleasing his necessities and he wasn’t doing the right thing. He blocked himself from the correct path and caused an unfair death (in my opinion). I don’t understand why did the gods were convinced so easily. If they are gods, they are supposed to be wiser than humanity and I’d say that if a human council would’ve been responsible for the decision, Gilgamesh and Enkidu wouldn’t have been punished.

“I dreamed that the gods were offended and held a council,
And Anu said: They killed the Bull of Heaven

and killed Huwawa. One of them must die,
the one of them who felled the tallest cedar.”
Gilgamesh, Pg 37


From what I read, Enkidu did die and I disliked that because Enkidu was my favorite character. I hope that some gods save him at last or that Gilgamesh saves him by performing a task because with Enkidu dead, Gilgamesh would be alone again. What will be Gilgamesh’s next task? What will happen with the unique bond they had?

No comments: