Sunday, November 25, 2007

Analects 19 & 20

I am really confused about these two last books. The first one is the knowledge of his disciples that is similar to his but nothing as remarkable as what I read in the past books. The one quote I liked in book 19 was the last one. The second book is another of Confucius relations of balance, which I mentioned on my previous post.

19.21 Zigong said, “A gentleman’s errors are like an eclipse of the sun or the moon: when he errs, everyone notices it, but when he makes amends, everyone looks up to him”.

This quote is great but what I liked wasn’t the meaning but what it said. It used a comparison between something that was mysterious back then as an eclipse to the path of a gentleman which I believe is really important in the book because from what I read, a gentleman is that who follows the path to goodness. I’ve liked this book so far for its richness in comparison because after all, no one is able to understand every single quote, mainly because it applied to a whole different system of ideals that the one on which we live.

No comments: