Monday, January 14, 2008

Njals Saga 60-98

Most of this segment talks about the continuos killing between Gunnar and Njial's slaves. I thought it would all end more dramatically but it was set into an agreement. I can see that the most valuable action from anyone in the story is to win the battles without actually fighting since the slayings always end in revenges and payments.

Gunnar is the most respected and followed man that I've learned from in the saga and I guess he'll face numerous battles to Mord something... I can't recall his name but from what he's appeared, he is really wise and for what it's been told he is evil and powerful.

Now, returning to what's valorized amongst the people in the saga, when Gunnar killed all of these people, he got into serious trouble involving him to pay serious fines (Ignoring the fact that Njal helped on the trial). If it where to be another story, A man who killed 6 men by himself would be a true hero but the difference (i beleive) is that in the saga, the story is not about Gunnar and his people so it remains fairly even (although it does talk more about Gunnar). Gunnar is definitevely a real hero right now because he is the strongest in the moment, as well as one of the most honoured, befriended and respected and I dont know but for now, I beleive that the saga should be called Gunnar's Saga.

No comments: