Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Njal’s Saga 19-29

I am thankful that finally we are reading something closer to prose. Personally, I found it very difficult to read the bible and didnt enjoy a bit of it (it doesnt have to do with my religious views since I am a christian). I enjoyed what we've read so far and actually went ahead. The story seems great and its a typical story of a hero.

Something that I dont understand is the various characters that keep appearing in the story. Each of these characters makes you think he is the main one but from what I've read, the only character who's appeared since the beggining is Hallgerd and yet, she hasnt been emphasized much. Maybe this saga contains various main characters that are joined together into the story or maybe all sagas are like this (I haven't read any other sagas).

At first I thought that Thorvald was the main character and all of a sudden, Bang, he is killed. My hypothesis is that the whole story is going to revolve around Thjostolf and his jelousy towards Hallgerd's husbands. Its really a great book and cant wait to see what happens next.

No comments: