Thursday, December 6, 2007

Tao Te Ching 29-43

Now I'm starting to feel the Ying-Yang that we talked about in class. For almost everything in this book is based on something and its opposite. I dont think that the Ying-Yang ever referst to good and wrong but always refers to A and B. This book shows us the balance of being and Wu and of acting and Wu-Wei. I am not an expert at that subject but I do beleive that Ying-Yang shows us that both sides taken too far are really bad so you have to mantain yourself at the middle, being able to adapt to certain situations and their opposites. As already mentioned in the book, extremes are bad and that is why you shouldn't be trying to look for more than what you need.

I came to understand at this moment a phrase I mentioned in one of my previous blogs that said that it was better to stop short than fill to the brim. I guess that it has to do with what you can do to fix it since to a glass short of water, you can add more water while to a glass with more water than needed, there is nothing that you can do (obviously you can pour some out but it will not be the right way since it'd be to missuse the water. The other idea about this quote is that when you stop short, you can make ammends and align yourself while if you do more, you've become eager and that has a price.

Returning to the balance thing, the Tao tries to tell us to go on, in the path without taking any deviations and this relates to the following quote.

"The universe is sacred.
You cannot improve it.
If you try to change it, you will ruin it.
If you try to hold it, you will loose it." chapter 29

Aside from explaining that the universe is greater than ourselves and we are not in control of it. I understand it as to stay in line and face any difficulties. As to myself, I dont beleive in that since I beleive that you can indeed reshape the universe as you want.

I accept the mayority of these ideas but I still have my own grounds, this is the best of the books we've read in class this year along with ishmael and I beleive that it is because of the radical ideas that each of these books present with respect to our lives.

1 comment:

J. Tangen said...

We've heard this middle theory in about everything we've read. You need to cite text and more close reading. Get into the words. We must be specific with these types of texts.


beleive
referst
ammends
mayority