Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Bible First Entry


Genesis 1-5

These chapters are basically talking about the life of Adam and Eve, and all their descendants. I found the beginning boring because of its repetitiveness and my previous knowledge of the subject. I don’t know why they always said to me that after they ate the fordibben fruit, they were punished and removed from the paradise and struggled to get back to it again (by convincing God) but when I read this bible, (not that I’ve read any other bible) they weren’t punished as harsh as I learned they were.

Aside from this, one thing that brought my attention was the ages that they all lived. Its been proven scientifically that people at that age lived less that what we live now so I don’t know why did they all lived almost 1000 years! Symbolically, it might’ve meant that people were pure back then and not as corrupted as we live today and their long lives could’ve been a reward. I don’t know if its just me who thinks this but the ages of the sons and grandsons etc. were decreasing as the family tree grew longer and longer and this could mean that people began to change more and more and turned into egocentric people as the time passed.

When I started reading the bible, I remembered the story of Ishmael because if you think about it, it totally makes sense. For example, when the Adam and Even ate the fordibben fruit that symbolized the knowledge of right or wrong, they could now say what was right or wrong according to them which wasn’t really right or wrong at all. This means that they didn’t kill animals if they weren’t to eat them but after they ate the fruit, they could say that it is right to kill the animal if I am not going to eat it. I think that aside from our mental abilities, that is what makes us different than any other species in the planet, we supposedly have the right to say what is right and what is wrong. I cant imagine our world if we would’ve never tried that fruit. I guess we would be extinct but who knows?

No comments: