Monday, October 1, 2007

Myths 15th entry

Io

Io is also the name that a famous house music producer and Dj created to be known in the whole world and I personally enjoy very much his songs. (Actually the name is Iio but I think that his intention was to have the name of this Greek character. I liked that this story turned out with a happy ending because it looked like Io was going to stay in suffering for the rest of her life. I don’t believe in that kind of punishment for being unfaithful because after all, the one who deserved punishment was Jupiter, not Io. The story of Iio reminds me of the movies that I saw as a little kid from Disney. These movies made the innocent suffer until the last 10 minutes in which they’d all end up living happily ever after. I think that its highly probable that those stories were written using the same format that these myths used because they are very similar indeed. Again, as a conclusion, Greeks were highly influential to the development in every aspect of our lives.


The Halcyon Birds

This is a story in which love interferes and keeps the couple together, surpassing the strength of death. I can compare the birds in which they transform at the end of the story to the birds that represent peace. Birds have always been a personification of freedom, peace and love (I’m talking about the little white birds that are called “Palomas” in Spanish). Their transition to the other side, a better one, could be symbolized with their transformation into the birds that fly freely around the seas and islands, doing what they please to do and with the ability to explore and fulfill their curiosity. At this point of my life, I’m not sure about what happens to us when we die but I certainly hope that its an evolution, a step into a higher dimension in which we can have a better life with a higher state of consciousness.

“But indeed he did felt it, and by the pitying gods both of them were changed into birds.” Pg 60

In that moment, both of them become the free birds that roam around the seas. This story reminds me of a book we read last year in English class, “Jonathan Livingston Seagull”. In this story, a curious bird, who believes that there is more in his life than flying, decides to challenge himself and eventually he evolves into a higher self, the only difference is that in this case, the human evolved into the bird.


The wedding Fest

Now I’ve read this story twice and I haven’t understand the ending. Did Perseus become a stone as all of his enemies and some of his friends? Alternatively, did he simply walked out of there and married Andromeda later on? I didn’t understand it but I had clear that Perseus was a true Hero. He faced 3 different enemies and much more in the wedding fest and I think he was able to defeat them all (I’m not sure about those in the wedding fest).

I think that some of these stories were invented with the sole intention of creating their own heroes. Everyone, everywhere and every time, people are looking for their own heroes, does that can be looked at and admired. I myself would like to have a personal hero, but I guess I already have, just that mine is not a guy who killed 3 different monsters and accomplished much more.

No comments: