Sunday, September 23, 2007

Myths 10th Entry


Roman Divinities

Most of the names I found here relate to the modern names of things. For example Faunus, the god of fields and shepherds relates to the Spanish word for fields and environment called “Fauna”. It is incredible, to see the amount of influence that this culture has on our lives. Most of the words come from them (or at least in Spanish) and lots of fests and holidays too. Saint valentines day relates to cupid and I think that Christmas relates to saturnalia, an event in which they shared gifts and offered peace amongst each other.


Latona and the Rustics

This is one of the goddess that punished people for being rude at her. This time, they deserved it because they were mean to her and they ignored the superiority she possessed. This story reminds me to Pinocchio because he didn’t behave correctly and he suffered in exchange. (With the increase of his nose size). I think that people should be punished if they act incorrectly and this time I agree with the gods.


Phaeton

I didn’t understand fully this story because it shows the end of the world. Chaos all over the world and gods and people dying. Gods initially were allowing the destruction of the world but I don’t seem to find a reason because after all, their job was to protect the earth, wasn’t it? When I began reading it I thought it was going to explain solar eclipses or something by the sort but I finished it and I couldn’t discover the purpose for this story. This, unless that occurrence lead to a time of suffering and scarcity.

No comments: