Sunday, September 16, 2007

Myths 5th entry

Sir, I am late with this entry because I didnt come to school on thursday so I didnt have my book of myths with me.

Glaucus and Scylla

Glaucus became a god when he tasted some herbs. He became half fish; half-human and he fell in love to a nymph called Scylla. She ignored him for his appearance and Circe the goddess punished her. I am definitively sure that their lives back then turned around religion. They did things to please gods and they were either punished, or rewarded. I think that their explanation for everything was the gods’ faith and that’s why they didn’t have as much freedom as we have in modern days.

Pygmalion

This story is about Pygmalion, a sculptor who had so much to blame women for that he came to abhor sex. He created a beautiful sculptor of a women and he fell in love with it. She asked the gods to turn her into a living person and Venus turned this sculpture into the living. This story shows the power of love. I think that love is the strongest feeling and that is why it was able to turn a sculpture into a real woman. Love can do it all.

Dryope

In this story, Dryope is turned into a plant by hurting a nymph without knowing. Once again, I have to say that it is unfair how the punish humans for doing things that they were not actually to be blamed for. In Gilgamesh, Enkidu suffers a similar faith and just because he killed a bull in his personal defense. In my opinion, religion is not as important for Christians as it is for Muslims and for other previous religions. Muslims kill and die for their gods and pageants died because of gods will but Christians, we don’t have as much of a bond with our God as they have with theirs. I am sure that in the future, there will be no more religions because now a days, people become more and more egocentric.

No comments: